Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Day 59 - Music

April 6, 2016
Day 59
Hello!
Quitting drinking has given me a case of the grumpies!  When it rears its head..WATCH OUT! (Oh dear Lord, I pray that this is not my new personality!!!!)  And while it does come a lot at "wine time," it also hits me at odd times…times when I wouldn't have even been drinking.  I think I have an overall anger about having to quit drinking.  I'm pissed that I got myself to the place where I have a problem with wine.  I am jealous of the people who can only have one or two, I'm mad that the weight is not falling off (WTF?  6500 calories a week gone!!!!  So NOT FAIR!). So, my grumpiness is like a "veil" that hangs over me.  Well, I found something that helps to take away my grumpies!  MUSIC!

I made a new playlist titled "HAPPY!"  I put songs on it that hold some positive emotions for me, some that remind me of something funny or beautiful that happened, some that are just fun to sing and dance to.  And my faves…a few that are "off color" that just crack me up!  Each song has a special meaning to me.  All good meanings!

Some examples:  (and yes, I realize I gave way too many, but I just don't know which to delete..so I'm not deleting any of them!)

"Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen…that album came out when I was in HS and the cover just cracked me the hell up.  A bunch of naked women riding bikes.  Back then I was intrigued.  Now, I want to be on that bike..naked!  (Damn!  not happening- no weight loss!!!)

"And She Was" by Talking Heads….My dad had a very ugly gold convertible and he would drive with the top down all of the time (even in the snow!).  When this song came on, he would physically stand up in the convertible and fist pump whatever cars were nearby. We heard many a story of him fist pumping our friends!

"Turn it on Again" by Genesis…I was the biggest Genesis fan in HS and College!  I even got to see them once!  My first slow dance with a boy was to this song!

"Snow" by Red Hot Chili Peppers - Because my daughter ROCKS this song like it's nobody's business!

"Ain't that Right" by G. Love…the song is so chill and it just makes me feel happy!  Not to mention that my oldest son turned me onto G. Love and Special Sauce!

"Any Song by Bruce Springsteen" …because I am a Bruce Groupie!  I have seen him a lot of times in concert!

"Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson -   A beautiful little diddy of a  love song that is so upbeat and just makes you feel good!  (anything by Jack Johnson is great!)

"You're the Inspiration" by Chicago - My wedding song almost 28 years ago!  28 of the BEST years of Mr. Soberat53's life!  hahaha  (I hope he doesn't read this!)

"Wonder" by Natalie Merchant..this song is written about Natalie's best friend who has a baby with down syndrome.  It's just beautiful and meaningful to me!

"Dick in a Box" by Justin Timberlake…this is an "off color" song that just cracks me up.  It is from a skit on Saturday Night Live.  If you haven't seen it, I implore you google it!  You will just laugh hysterically!  (If you are prim and proper, unlike me, don't google it or listen to the song!)

What I am finding now is that in every song on my"Happy" playlist (and there are 72 songs)  I can find words and lyrics in each and every song (well maybe not "Dick in a Box) that make me thing of my not drinking…in a positive way…and these songs of course, really have a different meaning overall…but I am interpreting them my own way!  Hey, artistry is subjective, right?

Examples: (and these are just titles that have meaning!  Never mind the lyrics!  I could go on and on)
"Don't Stop Thinking about Tomorrow" by Fleetwood Mac (self explanatory and so apropos for us!)
"Better Now" by Collective Soul (oh yeah..I'm better now!)
"Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd (yep, that USE to be me!)
"Fooling Yourself" by Styx (I fooled myself and others for years with my drinking!  No more!)
"Peace of Mind" by Boston (I am getting there..have a ways to go!)
"Drunk on a Plane" by Dierks Bentley (that WAS me…no more!)
"Someone New" by Hozier (yep, I'm someone new…even to myself..just hoping it's not grumpy!)

etc., etc., etc!

You get the idea!  I can't help but feel some sort of happiness when one of the songs from this playlist comes on.  I'm listening to it now while I'm typing this!!!  Music can be so powerful!

Hoping you find "inspiration" and "happiness" from whatever music you are listening to!

Love,
Sober at 53


1 comment:

  1. Happy Day 59!
    You will have 2 months tomorrow!
    Music is inspiring!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete