Saturday, April 9, 2016

Day 62 - Am I a Dry Drunk?

April 9, 2016
Day 62
Hello!
I was doing some research on PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) and I came across the term "dry drunk."   I have heard of dry drunk before but I didn't really know what it meant.  This is the definition:

Dry drunk is a slang expression infamously known in the sober community. It describes a person who no longer drinks or abuses drugs, but continues to behave in dysfunctional ways.

I see how it is connected to PAWS.  If I don't start to deal with the emotions that I have cut off while drinking, I become a Dry Drunk.  It is so important to really deal with those emotions.  My analogy of Dry Drunk is someone who doesn't drink but is still white knuckling it.  I know in the early stages of quitting drinking there is a TON of white knuckling.  At least there was for me.  But now that I am on Day 62, I have to think…should I still be white knuckling it?  And I think some days I am doing just that.  Day 60 was one of those days!  But it seems that it was also a PAWS day.  So, does someone who white knuckles it all of the time have PAWS all of the time?  I don't want to find out.  This gives me resolve to really deal with my emotions.

In my blog y'day, I said I smoked a cigarette.  In my mind, that was behaving in a dysfunctional way as I am not a regular smoker…the white knuckling (PAWS) took me down!  My typical behavior 62 days ago would've been to drink!  So I am a dry drunk…at least I was y'day.  Don't worry..I threw the cigarettes out!   I can't keep doing this every time I get stressed!  I have to keep dealing with those emotions!

Hoping you are not "white knuckling" it today!

Love,
Sober at 53














1 comment:

  1. Al I know is this...I have to keep learning and growing is so many areas in sobriety, or else I will go back to my old ways of coping or old thinking patterns.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete