Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Day 79 - Suffering

April 26, 2016
Day 79
Hello!

In my area of the US, we are inundated with anti smoking TV commercials.  They scare the bejesus out of you!!!!

Well, one, keeps being played over and over.  The message, while brilliant for smokers, is also brilliant for drinkers.  It goes like this:

"A little suffering NOW can stop A LOT of suffering later!"

That is so true for us drinkers!!!  While smoking affects you physiologically, drinking affects you physiologically and mentally!

Think of what could happen if we continue down this road of drinking each day!  There are so many illnesses that long term drinking can cause:  cirrhosis of the liver, esophageal cancer, breast cancer, chronic pancreatitis, high blood pressure, damage to the central and peripheral nervous systems, heart disease...and the list goes on!

As far as the mental aspect, we can lose our jobs, our homes, our drivers license, be in financial distress, lose our families..and this list goes on too!

So much at risk...and some of it, YOU CAN NEVER GET BACK!!

Think of all that possible suffering...really think about it.  I know I will from now on!  The ramifications are horrific!!  BUT, if we can do a little suffering now, by quitting, we can stop a lot of suffering later...just look at what you can suffer from...and by our own hand!

I am on Day 79...It's been a tough 79 days!  Quitting drinking is HARD!!  But, it's not as hard as going through alcohol related diseases and possible death...and all of the mental consequences it can cause.  So when I feel like I want to throw in the towel, as I did the other day, I am going to conjure up some images of what my future might look like if I kept on going the way I was....It isn't a pretty picture.

So, my new mantra is "A little suffering now can stop a lot of suffering later!"

Hoping you can do a little suffering today by staying off the booze, to save your self from a lot of suffering that it will cause you later!

Love,
Sober at 53




5 comments:

  1. Yes, this is so true. In the scheme of things it is a little suffering, it wont last forever and it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I think a lot about this too. Alcohol poisoning and sudden death is one that really strikes fear for me. And that happens a lot more than I ever knew. Inspiring post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from all the very real ill health issues.....for women of, ahem, a certain age, let's not forget what we are doing to our complexions, skin tone (and, of course, weight) with each hoist of the glass. Vanity's as good a reason as any!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about the vanity issues and those were the reasons that I quit...the weight!! hahaha!!! I guess I've come a long way..but that weight is still not falling off! xo

      Delete