Sunday, April 24, 2016

Day 77 - I MADE IT!!!!!

April 24, 2016
Day 77
Hello!

I cannot believe it!  I made it through last night without a drink!!  I am so proud of myself.  I honestly didn't know what was going to happen because I was so tired of trying.  I didn't think I had it in me anymore...but I do!!!  I am so relieved...and happy!  I am sitting here crying because it is a major relief and I still can't believe it..that's how hard it was!  Here is a little recap:

On the car ride in to NY, it was a bit odd.  I didn't know that the the wife of the other couple had invited two of her best friends, her cousin and SIL.  I was definitely the odd man out.  While they were very nice, they talked about a lot of things that required knowing their family.  I tried hard to be that girl that I was when I was drinking....I would've had no problem insinuating myself into their conversation...whether they wanted me to or not.  The booze did that for me!   Then I realized...I am not longer that girl. I let the feeling of not being fully included sink in.  I sat there and listened and commented when I had something to offer.  They were all very nice but I was really left on my own!  And only the men in the limo drank!  I did bring a diet soda in the car with me so I wouldn't be tempted!

At the concert....the alcohol was readily available.  Anything you wanted except for AF beer.  Mr. Soberat53 even went to the bars in the venue to purchase some for me, and one bartender made a phone call and there wasn't one AF beer to be had in the entire place!  An arena that holds 18,000 people!!!  That is ludicrous!!!!!  So I stuck with club soda and lemon!

But the miracle of all miracles for me last night was that the wife of the other couple WAS NOT DRINKING!!!  I WASN'T ALONE!  For some reason that made all of the difference in the world to me.  A switch immediately flipped for me and I was able to enjoy the concert immensely.  This tells me that I need to hang out with more AF people!   And, I enjoyed my first concert without booze!!  Wow!

I ended up having a GREAT time!  Bruce Springsteen was just amazing!  I think it was the best Bruce concert that I've seen.  That man is amazing.  If you ever get the chance to see him...go!  He is 66 years old and just went right from one song to the next...no break and he played for over 4 hours.  I wish I had that kind of energy!

I woke up this morning feeling fantastic.  I thought of what last night would've looked like if I had been drinking.  It wasn't pretty!

And a HUGE thank you to Ripleybelle, Northwoman1996, Sobermummy and OneSoberKiwi!!!  Your comments got me through!!  You have no idea how much you helped me.  I am so very appreciative and grateful for you!!!

Today, Mr. Soberat53 and I celebrate our 28 year wedding Anniversary.  Another first....no alcohol!  This one, easy peasy!  (well, I hope so!)

Wishing you a day of success with not drinking!  Those "firsts" are hard!  But, doable..with effort and great support!

Edited to say:  I am crying so hard right now..happy tears...because one of the girls in the car just sent me a Facebook friend request. I know that's not a big deal at all, but I really thought that I didn't bring much to the table last night.  To know, somebody actually liked me (why else would you send me a friend request?) as the "real me."  The me without booze.  Maybe the "real me" is ok.

Love,
Sober at 53

13 comments:

  1. YAHOOOOO!!!!! Jumping up and down for you in California!!!! What a terrific story! And it's not a little thing that someone friend requested you on FB. We all need that kind of reassurance. I think I missed that you saw Bruce Springsteen on your last post. Never saw him love but hear he's amazing. Did he open with Purple Rain? There's a YouTube video of him singing it live circulating today. CONGRATULATIONS on a job so well done. I was thinking about you and sending positive vibes to you all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your thinking of me! I felt the vibes all the way in NY!!!! They were strong vibes...and I so appreciate it!!!! Thank you! xo

      Delete
  2. Yaaaay, SoberMom!! Your experience reminds me of a day this winter, only a couple weeks in, when my brain surprised me.....with being happily sober and unexpectedly in control at some point of temptation. There've been other moments since, of course, and I expect there will always be...but each little success - (BIG success, yours!) - gives us something to build on, strengthens our new pattern. Right now, I'm visualizing walking around, juggling a bunch of little stepstools - each one a step up to a stronger, non-drinking me (or, you!). The concert sounds like such a great experience - and w/o a single leftover, niggling worry - did i say anything/do anything stupid?? And despite recent memory blips (Day 72), I bet you remember the whole, wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Other moments OF TEMPTATION is what I meant (3d line). There's a reason there's a 'preview' option, duh.

      Delete
    2. Hi NW...I like your stepstool analogy. Something for me to contemplate. And I felt great the next morning!!! xo

      Delete
  3. What awesome news, well done you!! Now that you have this concert/work event under your belt you'll feel so much stronger for the next time. And congrats too on 28 years of marriage, that is another huge success. Just think - when you celebrate your 29th it'll be well over a year since you last touched alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! One thing checked off the no drinking list..concert! Next year will hopefully be a whole year of alcohol free things checked off the list!!! Thank you One Sober Kiwi! xo

      Delete
  4. Yay!!
    You did it with grace!
    And it only gets better!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy!! Maybe the grace was outwardly, but on the inside , before I went, I was a train wreck! xo

      Delete
  5. So very happy to read this...you give me hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and wow! I am so happy to have been able to give someone else on this journey hope!!! xo

      Delete