Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Day 72 - Memory Problems!

April 19, 2016
Day 72
Hello!

I can't remember what I was going to write on this post!!!  hahaha...just kidding...But seriously, I am suffering from some memory loss!  WTF?  I thought that being off the wine, I would be bright eyed and bushy tailed!!!  I would be very into the conversation that I am having with you.  I would be very alert in the TV show that I am watching.  I would remember all of the great advice from the wonderful non drinkers blogs that I frequent, where I put my phone, etc.

Guess what?  I am missing a lot of pieces!!!!!  For example, I can have an in depth conversation with you and be ever so present, but later, I can't remember what we talked about!!!

Today, I was excited to find a new blog!  After I read the first post, I read the comments and I HAD LEFT A COMMENT....YESTERDAY!!!!

Tonight, I went to to do a load of wash, as I wanted a particular pair of exercise pants for tomorrow.  Yep, you guessed it, I had already washed the load...last night!

I am a list maker...every night I make a list of things I need to do the next day, things I need from the grocery store, appts. to make.  I add to it each morning.  But, I am forgetting to put things on the list!!!

I am forgetting such silly things!  I was NEVER like this when I was drinking.  My lists were complete!  I didn't forget things (well, maybe if we spoke on the phone and I was drunk, I might forget..as well as some FB posts and emails)!   It never even occurred to me that my memory might go and I would become forgetful!

I wonder if when I was drinking, that I was so intent on not feeling like someone who drank too much, that I overcompensated in my lists and subconsciously forced myself to remember things...maybe it was some sort of defense mechanism so I wouldn't feel like such a drunk!

I googled "quitting alcohol and memory" and the jury is out!  Some studies say I should have improved memory within 2 weeks after quitting.  It's been 10 weeks.  Other studies say that I could possibly have alcohol dementia from my heavy drinking (oh FUCK!)  One study said it is due to lack of nutrients.  (I don't think that this is it as I am a healthy eater...but I have been forgetting (see, another forgetfulness) to take my vitamins and I was always vigilant about taking them.  Another study said it is due to lack of vitamin B1.   If I remembered to take my vitamins I would be taking a B Complex!

I don't know what it is and I am a bit concerned. It's not like I have more things on my plate since I quit drinking.  It's the same stuff, albeit, without the liquor store runs!  And, I have more time at night because I'm not drinking, to remember things and create new memories!  Heck, I wish I could forget all of my drinking memories...but no such luck!

So tonight I sit here and look at my list for tomorrow...there are only 2 things on it.  I KNOW there should be more!  I guess some things are just not going to get done...or maybe I already did them and just can't remember!!!

Wishing you...oh I forget what I wanted to wish you!!!  Seriously, wishing you full lists, a day of creating new memories, and not forgetting anything!!!

Love,
Sober at 53


9 comments:

  1. Lol you left a comment on my blog yesterday in case that helps jog your memory! My memory has always been terrible, I keep signing up to websites like Lumosity to try and fix it but I never stick at it long enough to see any results (much the same as my sticking at Quitting Alcohol!). Maybe your brain has been spending so much energy rewiring to not drink that it has neglected your memory cells a little lately :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha..It wasn't you One Sober Kiwi!!! I honestly feel like such an idiot! Maybe I killed too many brain cells when drinking???? I hope it's not permanent!!

      Delete
  2. This has been happening to me too. Of course it happened when I was drinking but now it's surprising. I go into my boys room to feed the fish then can't remember feeding the fish. I am guessing that part of my issue is that I am VERY preoccupied with a things sobriety so I get distracted. We have done a real number on our brains and they need time to heal. I bet you'll get some help here or you can post the question to BFB. If you're not part of that group. I can post it for you. I know I've read stuff about supplements to take to repair the brain but I can't remember where I read it. Haha! And there you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ripley. I can buy that...we are preoccupied with not drinking so we are distracted. That sounds reasonable! I am on the BFB..Good idea to post there!

      Delete
    2. Saw your post on BFB. Just a thought. If you don't get many responses try the Facebook version instead. That's if you are on Facebook already of course. Instant responses and lots of them usually.

      Delete
  3. Hi! This happened to me too - big time! I found it was one of my major PAWS symptoms - it came in waves. I even forgot my ZIP code once! It was like wading through soup. I took B Vits which are supposed to help. Like all this stuff - it passes ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been taking a B Complex...when I remember that is! It is really bothersome! I just hope that goes away and the weight comes off!!! 100 days, right? (I'm not holding you to that!)

      Delete
  4. My lists have no more than 5 items a day!
    That way I feel so good about getting them done!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my list could only be 5 items per day! Sometimes I find post it notes in my pockets with lists that I haven't completed! And they are old! (Oh, that's why we are out of milk! hahaha)

      Delete