Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Day 66 - Pity Party

April 13, 2016
Day 66

Welcome to my Pity Party!
I am having a real "woe is me" kinda day.  It's the kind of day where I actually physically feel my sadness.  You know the kind where your stomach drops as low as it can go?  Your body feels like it's stuck in the "sigh" position?  Yep, that's what I'm having.  I feel like I'm stuck in a fishbowl looking out at the world and I can't get out.   I am feeling soooooo very sorry for myself.


  1. I am so sad that I am in this place.  Why did I let myself drink so much that now I have to work really hard to quit!!!  (I know I got myself into this place and I can get myself out!)
  2. I feel like everybody else can drink responsibly except for me.  (I know that is not true)
  3. I feel like hardly anybody reads my blog. (That is fine, because I wrote it for me for accountability...but I was hoping to meet a lot of new people going thru exactly what I'm going thru.  For what it's worth, I do read and comment on a lot of blogs. That helps me)
  4. I have a huge function to go to in NYC on Friday night for a charity that my husband is very involved with.  I went last year and I was bored...he wasn't.  I also drank a lot.  This year I can't so I will be even more bored!  I thought I would look better and the weather would be nicer so I could buy something cool to wear for the photo ops.  (I do want to go to support my husband.  It is important to him & I secretly submitted a photo of him running in a 1/2 marathon for said charity....he will be surprised!)
  5. I thought by now I would be down a lot of weight.  No such luck.  (From what I read, and from some replies I have rec'd that will come eventually...but I'm impatient!  I want that reward for my wine sacrifice!)
  6. I'm sad that the rest of my life will be alcohol free.  Maybe one day, after a lot of time passes AF, I can become a responsible drinker?  (I know that I can't.  Old habits die hard!)
  7. I'm pissed at myself that I still find myself sometimes reaching for a cigarette (no positive flip side on this one!)
  8. I am feeling very lonely on this journey.  I still don't want to tell anybody.  I don't want to be judged.  While I like having my own personal secret, I think it may be isolating me  (I know...I could go to AA (that's another story for another day), I could tell more people)
And the list goes on!  I know this must have something to do with PAWS.  How can I get it every week?  Is that even possible?  So, I exercised today, I got myself a pedicure, I purchased some new Lululemon exercise pants and I bought a crumb cake (I only ate the crumb part!..No wonder why the weight is not falling off???)  And, I did all this and I still feel the same sadness.  

But, it was helpful to write this, and I did force myself to think of something positive to write after each "woe."  So one day when I look back on this, I can see that there are options to get myself out of my pity party.  I'm just not feeling it today....sigh....

Thank you for coming to my pity party.  Please feel free to take one of my "woe's" as your party favor...because that's what kind of party this is....Hmm...maybe you can take the whole damn fishbowl with you!   

Love,
Sober at 53


5 comments:

  1. Wish I could give you a hug! You WILL feel better soon! The early days are a roller coaster as your brain chemistry tries to find an equilibrium. You're doing brilliantly! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here's my woe-is-me contribution: was just crafting a nice response for you....and I lost the danged thing! Grrrrr.

    Short version: You ARE doing great! How would you like to weigh what you're weighing....and every time you get on the scale, there'd be that awful 'added weight' of feeling absolutely crappy about yourself because you havent managed to stop knocking back the wine??

    But. You have! You've stopped! For more than two months. Ain't nuthin easy about that. And scale/shmale, I'll just bet your face is less puffy and your skin is looking way better than 2+ monhs ago!! And come Saturday morning, when your fellow party-goers are waking up hungover and wondering why they did it to themselves...yet again!...you will feel guilt-free!

    I'm actually kinda jealous of your night out. NYC! I love NYC!, so I'll be looking forward to a full report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sober at 53,
    You are doing great!
    The good news is, the sad feelings you have will decrease, and you will have a stronger sense of self. I still can get a bit of FOMO, but it's just a breeze once in awhile.
    We can only work with "what is", or the present moment.
    NYC is such a fantastic city.
    I was there once with hubs and we loved it.
    North woman is right...you will be able to enjoy it without the icky hangovers!
    xo
    Wendy


    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..I'm new here but have really been inspired by you..;love the advice given above..I'm on day four so can only hope to get to where you are.Being from the west coast I can't even imagine a night out in New York...but ,its a party and not drinking would be very tough...I would say..1.look great 2. enjoy the food 3. celebrate your husband 4.have a GREAT Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete