Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 10 - The Anchor

February 16, 2016
Day 10
Hello
In Julian Kirkman-Page's book, "I Don't Drink," he carried a rock in his pocket with the word "gout" written on it.  You see, he suffered from terrible gout due to his drinking.  Every time he felt an urge to drink, he would put his hand in his pocket and hold his "rock."  He suggests that you figure out the reasons why you want to quit drinking, and try to sum it up in to one word and get, what I call "an anchor" (like his rock) that you can look at, touch, or whatever, when you get an urge to drink.

 It took me a few days to figure out what my anchor would be.  I was stopping drinking for all health related issues.  Weight, being the big one for me.  But, I was concerned about cancer, my liver, my pancreas, and other body parts!  How would I sum it up into one word?  I was lucky, in that it came to me!  I purchased a key chain on Amazon that has about a 1.5 inch barbell attached to it.  My word was WEIGHT.  And my barbell is a "weight."

 I love my anchor.  I keep it in my pocket and just touching it reminds me of being healthy.  It doesn't remind me of what I am losing…but reminds me of what I'm gaining…Health.


Hoping you find your anchor today!
Love,
Sober at 53

No comments:

Post a Comment