Thursday, March 31, 2016

Day 53 -Day 53 for Sober at 53!!!!!!

March 31, 2016
Day 53

Today is kind of a milestone day for me.  It is day 53 of being alcohol free and my blog "handle" is Sober at 53!!!  Woohoo!!

So how did I celebrate?  I am on vacation in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina.  We walked around all of the shops this morning and I bought myself a new pair of shoes!  Nothing like a new pair of shoes to make you feel good (and they were a definite splurge!) They are cork platforms and they actually had my big footed size in the store!  Now this does go against rewarding myself in which I posted about yesterday!  But this was such a great reward!  It felt better than a glass of wine...it was unexpected and definitively cheered me up as I started out the morning very grumpy because I had such a hard time not drinking last night.  I was PISSED....( and very pissy). BIG TIME!  But I got another unexpected reward today!  I posted a comment on "sobermummys" blog about last night and she wrote back a comment that gave me strength at my dinner tonight!  I actually reread it in the restaurant!  Thank you Sobermummy!

And yet another reward...I received my 2nd comment on my blog!  And it was so helpful!  Thank you  Northwoman1996!  You really helped me tonight too!

And the rewards keep on coming!  This one a bit sad though.  Mr. Soberat53 and I encountered s woman in the lobby of our hotel who we had a conversation with.  She was trashed!  Mr. Soberat53 said he felt sorry for her....She's going to feel like shit tomorrow morning.  My reward in that you might ask?  That could've and has been me!  But it's not!  Not tonight! I am not going to feel like shit tomorrow morning!  I am not going to wake up at 3 am filled with self loathing!  I am not going to be downing Advils like they are candy tomorrow!  Instead, I am going to say a prayer for this woman.  And a prayer of thanks because I was strong enough  (not without a struggle) to keep away from the sauce!

Wishing you milestone days...and new shoes!

Love,
Sober at 53


8 comments:

  1. The shoes are such a good idea! New shoes have magical powers, just ask Dorothy ;-) Keep going, and keep blogging - you're doing great! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Sobermummy. Thanks for sharing your journey. I am 55 and went almost 75 days recently, and now find myself drinking up to a bottle once a week or so....which is way better than before, but know it's leading back to my old ways. So I'm back to day 1 and feeling mad at myself for having to start over. Thanks again for reminding me that there are others out there who know what I'm going through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have to start over. Just continue on! When you are dieting and you eat like a pig in a day, do you throw in the towel? No! You just continue on with your diet! I believe same with drinking! I would continue counting on...so you had a few mistakes? Maybe those mistakes are part of your journey to AF. They will help you get to where you are going! Alcohol FRee! Continue on my friend!!!

      Delete
    2. I agree....unless you truly feel the need, my own feeling is that the whole 'i failed, i have to start ALL OVER at Day One' is a real morale thwacker (huh? What's that word???😉)?

      Just pick yourself up, acknowledge a slip, and forge on!! 75 days is great!! Just think of it as 75-and-a-blip and head for 76. And good luck to you!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your encouragement, ladies!! I will soldier on without starting over at day 1!! Woot!

      Delete
  3. Well done Sober at 53!! Your comments caught my eye on sober mummy's blog because I am 53 too, have three kids and so want to lose 20 lbs!! I have cut way down, but not made it past 15 AF days since I arrived at the point on Dec 1 of last year when I knew I had to stop. Congrats on your resolve for 53 days in a row!! You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liza Jane...or should I call you my "kindred spirit!" Boy do we have a lot in common! Let's do this together! We can quit drinking and lose those 20 lbs! I'm here for you! E mail me any time! xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Hey there, I'm at 53 days today...I'm 55 and have drank since I was 14 years old. I took a 30 day leave of absence from my job and went into rehab. Its completely amazing how I feel. Since leaving the security of a residential rehab and going back to the real world, I'm amazed at how I am doing things sober as well as going through things sober that i would normally drink through. I feel i am scratching the surface and am looking foward to this journey...

    ReplyDelete