Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 36 - The Therapist

March 14, 2016
Day 36
Hello!
Well, today is my first visit to the therapist.  Mind you, I had gone a few years back when I was having issues with my mother.  I hadn't been in 1.5 years.  So at least I didn't have to start from scratch.  I imagine she read her notes on me as a very boring refresher for herself.  I am excited to go as this therapist is GREAT!  I got lucky in finding her!  As I'm driving there I think of all of the things I need to work on:
  1. Not drinking
  2. Not smoking
  3. Not being a crazy lunatic mother sick with worry 
  4. Not being boring
  5. Not liking myself
I don't think this can all be sorted out in one appointment.  I am doing okay with the not drinking.  In fact, when I pull into the parking lot I had to figure out how many days I have been alcohol free.  It's a good thing to forget!  So, I pick the "not smoking" and "not being a crazy lunatic mother."  

What the therapist suggested was that I use the same strategies that I am using for not drinking for not smoking.  She recommended that I get a key chain with a set of lungs on them (remember I have my "anchor"…my keychain with the weight for my drinking)  But I decide that employing all of those strategies would spread my willpower too thin.  I don't usually smoke, but have found myself on occasions doing so.  So, we talk about wellbuterin to stop the urges.  We will talk about it again next week (yes, I am weekly……a lot to work on!).  

Next, we talk about my crazy mind the night Son #2 went out for his b'day.  The therapist gave me this GREAT mantra to use when I get crazy over my kids:

Explain to them ONCE what you feel and then repeat to yourself:

I can't predict what will happen
i can't control or prevent what will happen
But whatever happens, I will do my best to deal with it!

This made perfect sense to me!  I felt such relief.  I just might be able to knock #3 off my list!  

Here's to figuring out your "working on" list!
Love,
Sober at 53


No comments:

Post a Comment