Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 37 - Crazy mom put to the test!


March 15, 2016
Day 37
Hello!
Well, I am put to the test!  
Son #1 was not feeling well.  He goes to college far away.  I told him I would call him back around 9pm.  So I call…15 times  (remember…I'm still working on being a crazy lunatic mother…it will take time!)  I text him a gazillion times.  He is home alone as it is Spring Break and his two housemates are away!  I feel like a fool, but I texted his girlfriend, who lives in a different state than Son #1.  She was the voice of calm..she said that they were texting and then he just stopped.  She assumed he fell asleep because he wasn't feeling well.  I assumed he was dead.  How can she not be concerned like I am?  She loves him too!  In hindsight, I guess it's because she's not a crazy lunatic like me!  She is rational!  I want a drink…badly!!!  I try to wake up Mr. Soberat53 but he is in the sleep daze and keeps falling back to sleep while I was explaining my irrational fear.  So, again, ZERO help!

So, there was nothing I could do.  He was either asleep or dead.  I wasn't going to find out tonight!  t rolled the mantra over and over in my mind and was able to fall asleep.

I can't predict what will happen
i can't control or prevent what will happen
But whatever happens, I will do my best to deal with it!  REPEAT..a Gazillion times!

I eventually fell asleep.  And guess what?  That is what Son #1 did too.  He's alive and kicking.  As I even write this I see the pendulum swing from his rational girlfriends common sense to his crazy lunatic mothers irrational fears!

So, therapy is working!  I used the mantra.  While I did have a little "crazy town" in there (calling Son#1 15 times and texting the girlfriend and waking up Mr. Soberat53) I made it through…and I didn't drink.

Stress makes me want to drink.  I guess I want to drown out my feelings because they are so powerful.  Instead, I have to learn other tools to calm my self down.  The mantra is a good tool for me.

Hoping you find the tools that you need to get through the day!
Love,
Sober at 53

No comments:

Post a Comment