Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 15 - Weight Loss & Alcohol

February 22, 2016
Day 15
Hello!
I have been alcohol free for TWO FULL WEEKS!!  Go me!  I am so happy!  I haven't gone this long in 10 years! But why is the weight not falling off????  The scale hasn't budged.  If I'm being honest, I am way less puffy around my wine belly.  Even my face looks less puffy…so much so, that I can see the bags under my eyes (tomorrows post will be about sleep…or lack of in my case!)  I always asked my friend who is a nurse if the whites of my eyes looked yellowish.  She said..no, they look bloodshot!  (ugh!).  I was worried that my liver was drowning in wine and that it would turn the whites of my eyes yellow and that would be an imminent sign of either pancreatic issues or cirrhosis of the liver!!!  I digress, what about that weight loss that is supposed to be happening?  I thought the weight would be falling off me!

The way I figured it, is that I drank a bottle of wine per night..There are approximately 625 calories in a bottle of red wine.  (I think white wine is pretty much the same)  So, if I drank 7 bottles a week that would be an extra 4,375 calories in addition to my daily food intake.  BUT, if you remember, I drank MORE than 7 bottles of wine per week! Monday thru Friday was 1 bottle and a glass.  A glass of red is 125 calories for 5 oz.  My pours were bigger than 5 oz.  I'd say they were 7 oz.  So, if I add in those calories that is another 175 calories per day.  (for the 5 days 875 calories extra).  Then on the weekends I would be good for about 2 bottles for Saturday and Sunday…that's another 1250 calories.  I WAS CONSUMING APPROXIMATELY 6500 CALORIES PER WEEK IN RED WINE!  Again, that is on top of my daily food intake!!!  Oh my gosh!!  A woman in her 50's needs 1800-2200 calories per day, dependent upon activity level.  It is said that if you burn off 3500 more calories than you consume you will lose a pound.  I should be losing almost 2 lbs per week!  WTF????

In thinking about the last two weeks, I let myself eat whatever I wanted.  I guess I made up my wine calories in chocolate!  That's better than drinking, right?  I think so!  But, I am mad!!!  Mad enough that I joined Weight Watchers today.  I need the portion control. You see, I am an "all or nothing" kinda girl.  I just can't have one glass of wine, I need the whole bottle!  One m&m?  Is that even possible???? While I won't take a whole piece of cake, I will cut small slivers….then lo and behold half of it is gone!  Weight Watchers always worked for me.  I lost weight.  But, I would have most of my points in wine!  They just changed the point system to Smart Points.  A bottle of wine is 23 points! I get 30 points per day and then 35 extra points for the week.  If I continued drinking the way I was, that translates into 233 points per week.  I get 245 points in the week…and you can't borrow and steal day to day with the exception of the extra 35 points.  That would leave me 12 points to eat for the week.  No way I could do that. But now, I don't drink and I can do this!!!!

I joined.  My weight is 181.6.  Yep…20 lbs of wine!!!  Ugh!  I am so disgusted with myself!!!  But now I take action!  Eventually it will come off…right???  I have taken to the internet once again and googled "quitting alcohol and weight loss."  (Yes, Julian Kirkman-Page's weight loss inspired me, but he's a dude!  I needed a chic perspective…and fast!)  It led me to what has saved me….a blog called "mummywasecretdrinker."  The author, Sobermummy, is just like me!  A mom of 3, granted she's a few years younger, but was a drinker like I was.  She quit in March of 2015 and is almost a year sober! She chronicles her thoughts, her struggles, her joy, her fear with humor and grace.  I highly recommend it!  My blog can't even come close to hers.  I am not trying to. I am so grateful for hers.  It gets me thru some of the rougher times.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  Don't feel like you have to come back to me….the goal is to quit drinking, right?  Whatever it takes (it's already taken so much, hasn't it?..sigh)  She lost weight, but it took her to around day 100 of being alcohol free to really notice a difference.  That makes me feel better!!!

Wishing you some weight loss as you quit the booze!

Love,
Sober at 53

No comments:

Post a Comment